Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Simple Life

When Adam and I were still living in Morgantown I read this totally awesome post about finding your decorating style. Previously I would have considered Adam and I to have no style- or to be at odds. But I knew that we were going to be moving to a nice place here in Martinsburg and- lets face it. I had been living in a tiny half packed apartment for MONTHS and I was sixth months pregnant when we moved- I wanted to nest.

So I took the article to heart and went through all the steps- finding words that described mine- and hopefully Adams- style. And my goal way to KEEP these words in mind as I decorated our new apartment.

What was interesting was that one of the main "words" that we wanted in our home was "simple." Adam is a huge minimalist at heart and as anyone knows- I tend to be a little bit more of a sentimental pack rat. But I really felt the importance of making a home that Adam wanted to come home too every day. It may seem strange since I am IN my house all day- you would think it pleasing me would be the most important thing, but I was thinking of the future. When Adam is gone all day, when my kids are gone all day, I want them to WANT to come back home. I want our house to be a place they crave. And for Adam, that means simple.

Its been an interesting transition for me- I like to keep every thought and every picture, every word that touches me nearby and I have had to really narrow down what those things are. Instead of keeping every picture I had to find the ones that mean the most to me to display. Luckily- I think it has worked out well. There are no random pictures on my walls- all are things that reflect my family, and what is important to us. Its kind of like I took my style from before and just put it in a more concentrated form.

This is the view of my living room from our entry. Notice that there are toys on the floor- I have a two year old- there are ALWAYS toys on the floor. Even after we pick up. So you are getting the real essence of our house here :) The pictures on the wall are in chronological order- I like seeing all lined up how our family changes and grows every year. The picture above the mantel is Adams very favorite. The couch pillows are homemade by me from old curtains and are PERFECT for evening reading and reclining. (Never would have imagined that circle shape was so great.)
 photo IMG_3157-001_zps906d2a0c.jpg

Do you see the two shaded doors in the picture above? They lead to our balcony, and I am leaning against them to get this view of our dining room. Yes, the table is chalkboard painted and it was the BEST adjustment I have ever made to any furniture. Logan LOVES it and it cleans so easy. I made the chair covers.
 photo IMG_3158_zpsc4ed1b41.jpg

This is the view of the dining-room from the entry. The shelf is really Logan's shelf. All the books are kids books that he is responsible for getting and replacing every night. The boxes hold his art supplies, play-dough etc. They are all labeled with pictures and the word of what is inside of them so Logan can get into them on his own. I have been AMAZED at how well he has adopted the responsibility to pick these things up and put them back after he gets them out. Logan I think loves the freedom to get into crayons, stickers, play-dough any time he wants. And he does often.
 photo IMG_3159_zpsdf11e4b4.jpg

What has been even more interesting has been that this desire to simplify has seeped into a lot of the other corners of my life as well. Maybe its because I am about to undergo a huge transition going from one kid to two, maybe its because Adam has undergone a huge transition going from classroom student to student doctor (yes, he does procedures and helps out during surgeries.) But ever since we have moved Adam and I have both been feeling this great desire for just- less.

That's where the blog design came from. I got on here to look at a friends blog and almost cringed at mine. It was cute yes, but it definitely didn't reflect our new life and my purging streak went so far as to slash through the blog as well :) Clean, white, simple, with that always pop of color that my life would never BE my life without :)

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Funny, Scott is such a minimalist as well while I am a sentimental pack-rat. :) I love the look of your new apartment, and the blog! Really though, the part about making your home a place where your family wants to come back to is a HUGE deal to me. It really struck me, and I think it's wonderful that you decorated with your family in mind.

    ReplyDelete