Saturday, June 29, 2013

We've Landed!

Well, we have been in Martinsburg for... 17 days now? I figure its time for an update :) Unfortunately I don't have very many pictures of anything so all the ones you see here are pretty random.

Our move went well! We had some of bestest friends in Morgantown come and help us pack up our truck- they were so efficient that we COULD have left a half hour early but stood around in the kitchen eating and talking instead :)

What was the real worry was getting unpacked once we got into Martinsburg. We- or I should say Adam- started unpacking the truck around 2:30. Since I am not allowed to lift more than thirty pounds I just sat on the sidewalk while Adam walked boxes up three flights of stairs. I have never felt more useless in my life. (Shall I mention that it was also 95 degrees that day?)

Around 3 the first councilor of our ward came with his daughter and her friend, and a half hour after that all four of the missionaries came and literally rescued us. A lot of of furniture got bumped and bruised- but I have never been more grateful for help! Once the missionaries came the moving was so fast. They were all gone and done before 5 so Adam and I had time to set up beds, and Adam set up computers while I got a little mister into bed.

I am proud to say I only had one emotional breakdown (although it was a long one haha!) While I said prayer over our dinner that night I was just so thankful to be in our apartment, to have everything unloaded, to be safe, that Logan was so amazing through all the crazy, and I was so tired and missing our Morgantown friends SO much- I just broke down and sobbed for a good fifteen minutes haha!

 photo IMG_3050_zps81b1bcb4.jpgLogan, by the way, has had NO issues adjusting to our move. In fact, he has been sleeping WAY better here than he was in Morgantown which is GREAT for me. He had a hiccup our first morning in our apartment because he wasn't quite sure where he was but he LOVES all the room he has to run around now, he loves our apartments pool, and he especially loves the field of cows that bump up to the back of our complex :)

The past two, almost three weeks have just been a series of greats! Adam and I love our apartment- our apartment AND Martinsburg. I remember the move to Morgantown being quite an adjustment but maybe its because we spent two years hating the town we were in that we LOVE Martinsburg so much! Martinsburg is in the middle of that thin little panhandle of West Virginia, and to give you an idea of how thin it is? If I drive 20 minutes north to Cafe Rio, I am in Maryland. If I drive twenty minutes south to Costco, I am in Virginia. I think the influence of other better states have really made this little area of WV not so sucky :)

So let me riff off a little list of what we do love:
1. Costco :) (This is us at Costco- Logan is very excited about watching the lady fill his berry smoothie.)
 photo IMG_3093_zpsdca6a9f4.jpg
2. cafe rio! (we have had it twice in 17 days haha)
3. EVERYTHING feels closer (could just be the lack of traffic...)
4. NO TRAFFIC
5. I have YET to see an accident (we had one a day at least in Morgantown)
6. the Michaels and Target AND Petsmart (that's Logans store) are HUGE
7. Everything seems so QUIET

What we love about our apartment?
1. It feels HUGE
2. It is so quiet I had trouble sleeping the first week
3. Washer and Dryer in unit! In their own room!
4. MUCH more storage space
5. DISHWASHER
6. GREAT community pool
7. It borders country so besides the affore mentioned cows there are ALWAYS birds and fireflys for Logan to explore
8. Lots of grassy areas to run and blow bubbles in

So besides the basic unpacking and organizing and the million trips to stores like Walmart and Target and the Dollar Store that all the unpacking causes... we haven't been up too much besides swimming and outside walks to visit the cows and blow bubbles. I have finally gotten to the point that my house is put together enough that I am maintaining it instead of starting it. Which means that i have been able to start crafting which is AWESOME and feels SO good! I had quite a few things I wanted to get done for Monica before she is born so its been great to knock those out and set up the kids room the way I want.
 photo IMG_3087_zpse9473fa8.jpg photo IMG_3085_zps1efe1e17.jpg
 photo IMG_3078_zps8edfe14b.jpgSpeaking of Monica, I met my new doctor- I was really nervous cuz I had to compromise on a few of "must haves" with a doctor but I actually LOVE HER. She came highly recommended and apparently for good reason. She is actually one of Adams attending's- for whenever he rotates through OB, and she ran a suture lab with the students the other day. Adam thinks she is GREAT which makes me feel all the better. (You know what will make me feel perfect? When Monica is HERE and I am no longer pregnant :)

Adam, has been the busiest. (Because scrubbing a toilet and running after cows I don't count as too busy haha!) He took his Step One (his first board exam to become a doctor.) He should find out his scores this coming month. He felt that he did well but says you really never know- hes pretty nervous/excited because this score basically decides what kind of doctor he will be. (I am sure he did well.)

Adam had a week break after his exam (which was HEAVEN) and started school/ work this week! Well- he started orientation. This next week will be all orientation too and then he will start his rotations. He's pretty excited- likes all his classmates here and loves all the people that he has met that he will be working with. Its been a little adjustment for Logan to have Adam gone most of the day, but he has loved playing doctor with me all week. If you ask him about Adam he will tell you that daddy is a doctor at the hospital who listens to peoples hearts and makes them feel better :) And then he will try to listen to YOUR heart or look in your ears haha!
 photo IMG_3053_zpse5bfcbab.jpg
Logan has been GROWING. Every day I feel like I have to put a new outfit in the too small box. He is a daredevil in the water and has taken to swimming like a pro. He loves his new pets (3 goldfish) though he refuses to name them. He wants to vacuum all the time- I have a problem with him purposely dumping things out so he has an excuse to vacuum, he likes Curious George now (his new show) and has been loving getting ready for Monica. He swings his toys in the baby swings, loves digging into the baby rattles and every I go into his room he points out her bed and her clothes. He is going to be one very loving and VERY watchful big brother :)
 photo IMG_3062_zpsd86ad2fc.jpg photo IMG_3063_zpsebd810b8.jpg photo IMG_3065_zps2edac48f.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I love your little boy! He is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the kids are sharing a room? I know a couple of people who have done that and it works well. There is no way I could with Hayes though! haha. So does Adam get paid to do his rotations? I don't know anyone who has ever been to school to be a Dr. Haha only shows.

    ReplyDelete