Thursday, November 8, 2012

NaNoWriMo

Some of you are probably looking at the title of this post, tilting your head side ways then whispering to yourself, "Oh, I bet its albanian."

NaNoWriMo. National Novel Writing Month. Aka November. Also known as Never Shave or No Shave or something like that. (Every month with the exception of August is no shave month in our household. I am ashamed to admit for me as well as Adam.)

I have known about this auspicious online literary event for years and have never participated. However, for some reason several people close to me have actually mentioned that they are doing it. (The idea is to write 50,000 words in a month. Or 2000 a day. Which is funny to me because the average YA book is 80,000, and an adult is around 100,000 So 50,000 is quite short for novel but that's not here nor there.)

October for me was like editing hell. (I took a break halfway through haha!) I have two books that need serious editing to I can FINALLY start looking for agents for them, then a third right after that. However, on the table (besides the three that need work) and two novels ideas (one is a sequel to the above mentioned) that I have been REALLY wanting to work on, but feel guilty every time I do because why am I not editing what I have already written?

This is my way of saying that hey, guess what? I am going to go NaNoWriMo. (I have heard that December is suppose to be national editing month so I can get to all my books then right?) Technically I am 8,000 words behind. BUT- the book that I want to work on, and have on and off been writing scenes for the past two weeks is currently 10,000 words. Maybe it is massively cheating but I already went ahead and put that down as my word count. (I wrote MOST of it in November.)

You know what? I am secretly really excited about this. I've already been wasting time by reading around on forums and have laughed A LOT. There is something about loving to write, and talking (or writing) to others about loving to write- the joys, the funnies, the annoyances thereof.

Writers are kind of like treckies- we're our own distinct weird group that no one else quite gets but we think we are pretty darn awesome. I kind of feel like I am Leonard Hofstadter and am desperately seeking my Sheldon. (Although I may be part Sheldon because I DO have a spot and whereas I would let penny sit there- I would NEVER let Howard.)

Anyways. Too much Big Bang. Yay to NaNoWriMo!

2 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to read some of your work! I remember you have pages and pages of lined paper covered in stories. I hope I am not crazy in remembering that, but I always knew you would be a writer! I will be your biggest fan and advertiser. :-) I am on an author's street team and get an overwhleming joy when someone reads what I recommend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I'm over 10,000 words behind. :) But since it's my first NaNoWriMo and I haven't really written in years, I'm cutting myself some slack. I'm having a lot of fun though and am actually really excited about my story--this is the furthest I've ever gotten on an original story (my friends and I wrote a lot of fanfiction in high school...we were quite nerdy. But it was way fun. Maybe I'll take up fanfic writing again...) ;)

    Good luck! I figured you were probably already doing NaNoWriMo when I emailed you...you seemed like you'd be in the know (I only found out about it a month or so ago). Also, I am pretty much in awe of the fact that you went to a writer's conference. That sounds so awesome.

    ReplyDelete