Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Quiche

Adam and I are on WIC. And for those of you who don't know- WIC gives you like- two dozen eggs a months. Awesome right?

Well, I am not a big egg eater. RARELY and I in the mood to just scramble something up. But eggs are now free so I HAVE to eat them. And a batch of cookies only takes two...

I opened my fridge one day after grocery shopping to add a carton of eggs, to realize I had two perfectly good ones in there. Something had to be done.

Then I remembered- QUICHE!

My mom used to make Quiche Lorrainne all the time when I was at home and I loved it! I know what your thinking- Quiche Lorainne is probably not the best thing for someone dieting. So, I have been trying out various recipes from everywhere for healthy egg casseroles.

And I have found at least TWO that I LOVE. Now, my criteria is basically that it has to use three or more eggs, cant be more than 6 servings (if its made in a pie pan), and one serving has to be under 400 calories. And it has to be so good I could eat all 6 servings over a few days by myself. (Since Adam wont eat more than a piece.)

Anyways- these two fit the bill. And here are the recipes! Adapted by me of course. And I will note, that when it says egg it means whole egg. But I usually only use one whole egg for a little flavor, and then use egg whites for the rest. Healthier you know. (And there are two egg whites to be used for every egg called for. Meaning I use more eggs :) tricky right?)



Deep Dish Pizza Protein Quiche
(I made mine is a 9x13 in pan. I don't know HOW they made this in a pie tin- it makes a lot!)

 

 

 

 

The Recipe

  • 4 oz softened light cream cheese
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup skim milk
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tbs chives
  • 1/2 tsp Italian or pizza seasoning
  • 2 cups shredded light mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup shredded light cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 tsp wet garlic or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup low carb tomato or pizza sauce
  • 1/2 cup PLAIN protein powder
  • Whatever topping you want! (I used Turkey pepperoni, green peppers, olives, and onion.)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Beat together or blend the cream cheese and eggs till smooth.
  3. Add milk or cream, parmesean cheese, and spices.
  4. Add plain protein powder. Avoid flavored protein!
  5. Spray 13×9 glass baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray such as PAM.
  6. Put 1 cup of shredded light mozzarella and 1 cup of shredded light cheddar in the dish, and pour egg mixture on top.
  7. Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes.
  8. Remove pan from oven.
  9. Spread quiche with sauce and add your toppings.
  10. Spread 1 cup (or more) of shredded light mozzarella cheese on top.
  11. Bake until brown.
  12. Let stand for 5 minutes to cool.
If I remember right there was 8 servings (I was okay with 8 because you make it in a big pan not a pie dish) and each (with my toppings) had 263 calories. Great right?


Ham, Pineapple and Cheddar Quiche

Ham, Pineapple and Cheddar Quiche
Crust
3 tablespoons light butter or margarine, softened
1 1/4 cups Heart Smart Bisquick® mix
2 tablespoons boiling water
Filling
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (6 oz)
3/4 cup finely chopped cooked ham (4 oz)
3 tbsp onion
1 can (8 oz) pineapple tidbits in juice, well drained
3 eggs
3/4 cup fat free evaporated milk
1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray. In medium bowl, cut butter into Bisquick mix, using pastry blender (or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until crumbly. Add boiling water; stir vigorously until soft dough forms. Press dough on bottom and up side of pie plate, using fingers dipped in Bisquick mix, forming edge on rim of pie plate.
  • 2 Sprinkle cheese, ham, onions and pineapple in crust. In medium bowl, beat eggs, half-and-half and pepper until blended. Pour into crust.
  • 3 Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Nutrition Information:

1 Serving (6 Servings)
  • Calories 390
    • (Calories from Fat 240),
  • Total Fat 26g
    • (Saturated Fat 14g,
    • Trans Fat 1 1/2g),
  • Cholesterol 175mg;
  • Sodium 850mg;
  • Total Carbohydrate 22g
    • (Dietary Fiber 1g,
    • Sugars 6g),
  • Protein 18g;




1 comment: