Well, I am not a big egg eater. RARELY and I in the mood to just scramble something up. But eggs are now free so I HAVE to eat them. And a batch of cookies only takes two...
I opened my fridge one day after grocery shopping to add a carton of eggs, to realize I had two perfectly good ones in there. Something had to be done.
Then I remembered- QUICHE!
My mom used to make Quiche Lorrainne all the time when I was at home and I loved it! I know what your thinking- Quiche Lorainne is probably not the best thing for someone dieting. So, I have been trying out various recipes from everywhere for healthy egg casseroles.
And I have found at least TWO that I LOVE. Now, my criteria is basically that it has to use three or more eggs, cant be more than 6 servings (if its made in a pie pan), and one serving has to be under 400 calories. And it has to be so good I could eat all 6 servings over a few days by myself. (Since Adam wont eat more than a piece.)
Anyways- these two fit the bill. And here are the recipes! Adapted by me of course. And I will note, that when it says egg it means whole egg. But I usually only use one whole egg for a little flavor, and then use egg whites for the rest. Healthier you know. (And there are two egg whites to be used for every egg called for. Meaning I use more eggs :) tricky right?)
Deep Dish Pizza Protein Quiche
(I made mine is a 9x13 in pan. I don't know HOW they made this in a pie tin- it makes a lot!)
- 4 oz softened light cream cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbs chives
- 1/2 tsp Italian or pizza seasoning
- 2 cups shredded light mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded light cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp wet garlic or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup low carb tomato or pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup PLAIN protein powder
- Whatever topping you want! (I used Turkey pepperoni, green peppers, olives, and onion.)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Beat together or blend the cream cheese and eggs till smooth.
- Add milk or cream, parmesean cheese, and spices.
- Add plain protein powder. Avoid flavored protein!
- Spray 13×9 glass baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray such as PAM.
- Put 1 cup of shredded light mozzarella and 1 cup of shredded light cheddar in the dish, and pour egg mixture on top.
- Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven.
- Spread quiche with sauce and add your toppings.
- Spread 1 cup (or more) of shredded light mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake until brown.
- Let stand for 5 minutes to cool.
Ham, Pineapple and Cheddar Quiche
1 Serving (6 Servings)
- Calories 390
- (Calories from Fat 240),
- Total Fat 26g
- (Saturated Fat 14g,
- Trans Fat 1 1/2g),
- Cholesterol 175mg;
- Sodium 850mg;
- Total Carbohydrate 22g
- (Dietary Fiber 1g,
- Sugars 6g),
- Protein 18g;