Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Happy-Haps

I'm sorry that my "week of seriousness" only lasted two days :) Goes to show that I should NEVER make a commitment to do something every day becasue I never know what is really going to happen. And in my defense I really continued to ber serious, but Adam had his huge test this past weekend (In med school its like they have a final every 3 weeks) and he said that even me typing got on his nerves.

Apparently me giving him space however worked fine because he got a 92%! To give you an idea, there were 114 that took the test, the average score was a 85, the median score was a 88, one person got a 63, and one a 99. So Adam was firm in the just above the average area. There has been a lot of happiness in our home since he found out his score. Not only are we thrilled that he did so well, but it has given Adam a lot more confidence that he is where he is suppose to be and that he will pass through med school just fine. It also showed him that he has been studying just the right amount, so now he doesn't have to feel guilty about taking large spaces of time off on the weekends to play with Logan and I.
Back along the lines about me getting serious about weight loss... I am STILL 151. Ugh. BUT- instead of getting discouraged I have actually gotten a lot of help and encouragement. A girl at church told me that she always holds onto her last ten pu8nds until she is done breast feeding. And my mom reminded me that as long as I am eating healthy and getting my exercise in- it'll come off. And the podcast I listen too- Fat to Fit Radio has the same philosophy. They say as long as you really are eating right- you know not cutting corners and such- and really are working hard to get exercise, it'll come off. The point is to build a healthy lifestyle that you can live your whole life. Not to starve yourself for a week to loose two pounds.

So I haven't gotten bummed out and have done great so far this week. And I feel good and that's what matters. And kind of in this same line of thought... Adam and i have decided to "branch" out in our lunch menus. Basically Adam said he was done with sandwiches for a long while, and the lunchables weren't cutting it, so we are trying out wraps. When we were at BYU the Morris Center used to have one day a week when they had a wrap bar, and it was the only day we went back to the dorms to eat lunch instead of staying on campus. Because the wraps were SOOO good!!

So I have been looking for healthy filling and super yummy wrap ideas and I found this one that I made today. I haven't had a verdict back from Adam yet but... I love it. So I am putting it here. :)

Slow Cooker Turkey, Bacon and Avocado Wraps

Slow Cooker Turkey, Bacon and Avocado Wraps
  • PREP TIME 20 Min
  • TOTAL TIME 5 Hr 20 Min
  • SERVINGS 8
4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 lb turkey breast tenderloins, cut crosswise into 1-inch slices
3/4 cup barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons Old El Paso® taco seasoning mix (from 1-oz package)
1 medium ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and mashed
2 cups shredded lettuce
1/2 cup drained roasted red or yellow bell peppers (from 7-oz jar), large pieces cut up
8 Old El Paso® flour tortillas (6 or 8 inch), heated
  • 1 In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until almost crisp. Add turkey slices to skillet; cook 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until turkey is brown on all sides.
  • 2 Spray 3- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Place turkey mixture in cooker. Top with barbecue sauce and taco seasoning mix; stir to mix well.
  • 3 Cover; cook on Low heat setting 5 to 6 hours.
  • 4 Remove turkey from cooker; place on cutting board. Use 2 forks to break up turkey; return turkey to cooker. Layer avocado, lettuce, turkey mixture and bell peppers on tortillas; roll up.

Expert Tips

To warm tortillas, wrap them in foil and heat in the oven at 325°F for about 7 minutes. Or place them on a microwavable plate, cover with microwavable waxed paper and microwave on High 45 to 60 seconds.

Tender, low-fat meats, like the turkey tenderloins in this recipe, will get dry and tough if overcooked, so follow the cooking times carefully.



In other news... I have discovered a new love. Family History. Weird. I have an old room-mate who is SUPER into it, and she is always talking about it- and to be honest I never got into it. I never thought the importance of it. But our ward threw a get together all about HOW to do it- and so me and some of the girls went. And truth be told- its easy! And super exciting! I love new.familysearch.org! Granted, I have already hit a stumbling block with my mom's dads family, but I am actually excited to go to the family history library this week and have the ladies help me out.

To be honest, I don't know if I have gotten to the point where I have a testimony of the importance of the work. (I think once I take the names to the temple I will.) But it is SUPER fun. I have always liked history anyways, and to discover... my own? To see where my family comes from, and where they lived... it's super cool for me. And fun. So I am excited to add that to my "hobbies" list.

And along the lines of churchy stuff, Adam and I got callings! Adam is the Cub Scout Committee Chair Person. Our ward is REALLY good about making sure the med students still get to put school first. And Adam is glad that even though it is a scouting calling- he doesn't have to go camping :) And he is working with the other first year med student in our ward who got called to be the co-chair. Nice.
I am the 4/5 year olds Sunday school teacher. To be honest- I am pretty nervous. I am good at teaching- but I have never had to relate and keep control of 9 5 year olds before. However, they have me a great setting apart blessing, and my mom- who is the most amazing teacher in the entire world and loves primary- gave me some great advice so I am feeling better. And it helps that next Sunday is stake conference so I don't have to teach until the 18th which gives me some extra time to think and prepare.
Logan has just been a ridiculous joy. I mean it. Sometimes Adam tells me that Logan has to play in his room because if he is in the living room where Adam is studying, he is so cute that Adam gets distracted. Granted, he still cries, and still hates Sundays- but my goodness nothing makes you feel so good as when I walk into a room and having him look over at me and burst into a smile at the sight of me. And like Adam has said, at this age you know when they smile or cry that it is true genuine happiness or sadness. So its not like Logan is pretending to be happy to see me. He really does just like me that much! :)I think that's all I got for you... test, callings, recipe, family history, logan's darling... its raining like cats and dogs here which unlike everyone else I LOVE. Bring on the 50 and 60 degrees. I want to wear my sweaters! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment