Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Seriousness Day 2 :)

Before I report... any of you savvy blogger people... I have a lot of friends say that they are having a hard time commenting on my blog... apparently it tells them they don't have the rights? I haven't done anything that I know of to keep people from commenting... any idea what i do?

Okay- so now to update you from yesterday :)

I did great! I tell you, 9:30 at night, I had to fully immerse myself in my book club book to keep myself from digging into some chocolate chip cookies. But guess what? It worked! I actually think knowing I had to get on here and admit to you that I had done bad and eaten cookies all night really helped me keep from going for them. Maybe this is a really good thing :)

Best part of it all, is that I was feeling so determined, and Logan was such an angel that I was productive everywhere else as well! Meaning the dishes are done, the laundry is put away, and I even managed to clean my bathroom! (In case you think I am awesome the bedrooms didn't get cleaned but... if they had what would I do today? :) And I managed to take a bubble bath in the evening and fully enjoy myself. Awesomeness.

Today? So far? Doing great. I was a little sore in the thighs from yesterday so I decided to do interval training for an hour or so, during which I usually concentrate on upper body and torso. After a good 10 min cardio workout, I just set my timer to go off every three minutes and I do things like basic weights (bicep curls etc) and crunches, shadow boxing, kicks, jumping jacks, ballet squats etc. And then I stretch for ten minutes at the end. Its a good thing to do when Logan is awake because I don't have to watch a video so I can put on Super Y and Dinosaur Train (his favorites) and he gets enough attention from them (and his toy keys) that he wont scream for an hour.

I realized my problem with working out when Logan is awake is not that I mind when he cries, but I worry for my neighbors. I know how annoyed Adam and I would be if we were trying to relax, study, or sleep in and there was a baby crying all the time. I think I need to get to know my neighbors better and find out when they are home. Because if they are all out at 9 in the morning, you better believe I don't mind letting my son cry. As long as I know he is fed and clean and safe... he can do without my attention for an hour even if he doesn't want to. (Although I guess it should make me feel good that he DOES want me, because by the end of the day I tell you he is TIRED of my face.)

I ate a banana before I worked out, then had a bowl of cereal (plain cheerios- its weird but I HEART them). When I was driving Adam to and from school I was listening to my podcast Fat to Fit Radio, and they were doing a GREAT show on protein and when it is better to work out. (Morning, Night, before or after you eat.) What I love about these guys is that they have struggled with weight loss themselves so they are not only speaking from personal experience, but they use research and real medical findings to back them up. And one of them is a phys ed teacher, and they both have families so its a real down to earth, but very true, no gimmicky weight loss that they are talking about.

And they said today the very obvious fact that I think we (meaning I) forget a lot, and its that, in the end it doesn't matter when you get that exercise in, as long as you are DOING it. When you look at the facts, there are pluses and minuses for morning and night workouts- its what works for you that matters. What was interesting to me was when they talked about eating.

I had always heard, work out in the am right before you eat because then there is nothing in your system and you will burn more fat. The guess (Russ and Jeff are the names of the hosts of the podcast) agree that scientifically that this is true. Now, they also say in long term weight loss- its not going to make that big of a difference but you CAN burn more fat this way.

BUT- they pointed out that if you eat before (obviously not talking about a full Sunshine Platter here) that the food will fuel you, give you more energy, and you will get a better, and longer workout because of it. (Meaning longer lasting burn when you are done as well.) If you are doping strictly cardio this may not matter, but for weights DEFF eat something small because it is those last difficult reps that matter the most and will make the biggest difference and if you don't eat, you most likely will not have the energy to get done what you need too.

What they suggest, it eat something small. You don't want to get a stomach ache. And to eat something with sugar/ carbs. NOT a candy bar. They suggest a banana (which is why I had one today haha!) or an orange. These two fruits are healthy, and also have a lot of GOOD sugar, GOOD carbs, and some protein to help you get through that last push.

What I have also heard is that when you are done working out, that you need a protein shake to restore all that you lost and build those muscles back up. (I hate protein shakes.) Russ and Jeff say that yes, if you are body building this might be a good idea. Or if you never ever get any protein whatsoever in your diet during the rest of the day. But, if you are like me and are just looking to firm up what you have or build a little muscle- you know- normal amount not the hulk amount, MOST people who are eating a healthy diet, get plenty of protein in their diet during the day to build what you need. And it doesn't matter if you get that protein a few hours later with your lunch, or the moment after you work out.

So if you like protein shakes and want to allot points/ calories to drinking them, go ahead. But they are not necessary. (Yay for me!)

Anyways- just thought it was a cool fact. If you are looking into weight loss or just living healthy, I would DEFF suggest this podcast. I am still just listening to the second season but it is SO good! So motivating and so interesting as well. I put it on in the car or while I am cleaning. (I swear I am not getting paid to advertise for them- I just really like them :)

For the rest of my plans for today... if Logan takes a good morning nap (which seeing as he is asleep now is a good omen for that) I am going to get dressed and clean my room. (Wow... am I 16 or what haha!) We have to go to the store from some odds and ends and then I am going to have lettuce wraps for lunch (basically a sub but using nice cool crisp lettuce instead of bread. Its really nice to eat on a hot day out on my porch) and then we will probably distract Adam when he gets home until dinner time :) Which we will have leftover sausage pasta. Its a weight watchers recipe but it is SOO good, so I MAY get in trouble for it... but I am going to post the recipe here. (There are two different versions and they are both EXCELLENT- and about the same calorie wise so just see what fits your tastes better.)

Wish me luck until tomorrow!

Italian Sausage and Pepper Pasta
Weight Watchers Recipe
Image of fusilli with sausage and peppers


Ingredients


1/2 pound(s) raw turkey sausage, Italian-style, casings removed
2 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin
2 medium yellow pepper(s), cut into 2-inch long thin strips
1 medium onion(s), thinly sliced
1/2 cup(s) red wine (You can use chicken broth instead)
1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
28 oz canned crushed tomatoes, fire-roasted recommended
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or less to taste
1/4 tsp table salt
8 oz uncooked whole-wheat pasta, fusilli
1/3 cup(s) basil, fresh, chopped

Instructions

  • Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.

  • Meanwhile, to make sauce, in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage, stirring and breaking up meat with back of a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes; remove to a plate.

  • Heat oil in same skillet. Add yellow peppers and onion; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are lightly colored and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.

  • Add wine and garlic; cook until most of liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, crushed red pepper, salt and browned sausage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender and sauce is heated through, about 10 minutes.

  • While sauce simmers, add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Drain pasta; return to pot. Add sauce and basil; toss to mix and coat. Yields about 1 1/3 cups per serving.

Notes

  • The sauce is also good spooned over rice.

    Toss in some fennel seeds for even greater flavor.

Penne with Peppers and Sausage
Weight Watchers Recipe
Image of pasta with sausage and peppers


343 people rated this recipe
Course: main meals
PointsPlus® Value: 7
Servings: 6
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 20 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy
This recipe is full of tasty stuff: spicy sausage, sauteed vegetables and Parmesan cheese. Use the sausage mixture as a sandwich, omelet or baked potato filling.



Ingredients



1 spray(s) cooking spray

2 medium green pepper(s), cut into thin strips

1 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced

1 medium onion(s), thinly sliced

1 cup(s) mushroom(s), sliced

1 pound(s) raw turkey sausage, spicy-Italian flavor

1/8 tsp dried oregano, crushed

1/4 tsp table salt

1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground

1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes

3 cup(s) cooked whole wheat pasta, penne, kept hot

6 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions

  • Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set pan over medium-high heat. Add green pepper, garlic, onion and mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, until almost tender, about 7 to 8 minutes.

  • Remove turkey from casings; add turkey to skillet and brown until no longer pink, stirring occasionally, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 6 minutes. Add oregano, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes; stir in tomatoes. Simmer until heated through and to allow flavors to blend, about 5 minutes.

  • Spoon penne into a deep serving bowl; top with sausage mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.

Notes

  • During busy weeknights, streamline the preparation using frozen bell pepper strips or frozen diced bell pepper strips and onions.

    Use a high quality Parmesan cheese for maximum flavor. Just a small amount can completely transform your favorite Italian recipes.

2 comments:

  1. such good information, thanks!
    And sausage pasta sounds really good right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abdominal exercise machines that will give you the best performance for your kind of training when you are ready to buy. As you shop for elliptical machines, remember that these beauties can give the best of several forms of workouts combined into one machine.

    ReplyDelete