Wednesday, April 13, 2011

BEST MUFFINS EVER- Apply Cinnamon And Weight Loss Update

I would love to get on here and say I was awesome and successful with my healthy living last week. Yeah... not to much. Logan decided it was a good week to go through a growth spurt and eat every 90 minutes and not sleep in-between and thusly be VERY cranky unless being held. (Good thing he is super cute.) And then my sister-in-law was in town which just shot everything. I did go walking twice and never ate more than 1800 calories in one day. Which is all the good I can say.

However, I figure its a start, and come Monday of this week I discovered it was apparently good enough to loose two pounds. (Lets be honest- that was probably from pregnancy stuff. But still- any scale going down I will take...) And when I went in for my post opp appt my doc said I was healing so well he was fine will me working out as long as I didn't go too crazy.

A lot of people have asked me why I am in such a rush to get fit and to work out and loose weight etc. No, I promise you, it is not just to get thin. Want the real blunt reason? Or the main one? I had a csection. No sex. And a person needs some endorphins when they are up all night. And not the kind you get from reading a good book. The kind you get from a great good night kiss, which is VERY close to the kind you get when you have finished an awesome sweat session. (Stop laughing at me.)

I worked out this morning for 45 minutes- kickboxing. I did the lowest intensity, and even skipped the last routine and just did some high knees and punches. Since the beginning of my pregnancy- it has been one of the happiest, most productive days I have had. I got started at a good time, it gave me energy to get all sorts of things done. I was such a happier and better mom (While nursing Logan and I read Pooh Bear and watched the original Land Before Time and played in his bouncer), and in such a good mood with Adam. My optimism, my patience, even my spirituality has taken an upturn. All so DARN worth it.

So I am excited to get a great start on the week- Monday may have been bad but I have made all great food decisions today thanks to early morning exercise, and I am looking forward to repeating my great day throughout the rest of the week. Also, Adam taught me how to download and burn my zumba DVD so I will write a post on how to do that yourself- look forward for that one! It will post on a Thursday some time. And I will continue to post videos of the all zumba videos I am using.

On with what I wanted to say today :)

While I guess I am posting about healthy eating and so, I have to share with you the recipe that has SAVED me recently. Because it is so healthy and SO good.

Until I join Weight Watchers again at the end of my 6 week healing period, I am using a free website called Calorie Count to help me keep track of everything that I eating each day. (Which was another one of my favorite things about Weight Watchers- they really make you keep track and plan what you are eating.) I am not a HUGE fan of calorie counting- I REALLY like the WW method of points better where its about a foods over all health, but I won't deny that calorie counting works if you are dedicated, and for me is seemed like the next best thing.

Anyways- Calorie Count has some great healthy recipes on their website, and this one I am going to share it one I made before I went into labor. (They freeze BEAUTIFULLY.)

I love muffins. Scratch that- I love anything baked and bready. Muffins are just such a perfect breakfast food for me. Yummy and so fast and easy to eat yet satisfying. Yet usually the FATTIEST things on the planet. Which is why I love these. They are filling, and OH SO YUM. Like I said- I made two batches (24 muffins) before I went into the hospital, and have just been popping two in the microwave for a minute for breakfast and they come out just as warm and yummy as they did out of the over. Awesome.

Anyways, here is the recipe and the link too it. Enjoy!

Apple Cinnamon Muffins

Ingredients (Makes 12 servings)
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup milk
2 apples - peeled, cored and chopped
1/4 cup sugar
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup rolled oats

DIRECTIONS:
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, 3/4 cup sweetener, salt, baking powder, and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. In a separate bowl, mix 1/3 cup applesauce, egg, and milk. Stir the applesauce mixture into the flour mixture until just blended. Fold in the apples. Spoon into the prepared muffin cups, filling about 2/3 full.
4. In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup sweetener, 2 2/3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 2 2/3 tablespoons whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup applesauce, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, and oats. Spread evenly over the muffin batter.
5. Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 serving (90.3 g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 174Calories from Fat 10
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1.1g2%
Saturated Fat 0.2g1%
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 16mg5%
Sodium 107mg4%
Total Carbohydrates 37.8g13%
Dietary Fiber 2.3g9%
Sugars 17.1g
Protein 3.8g
Vitamin A 1% • Vitamin C 2%
Calcium 6% • Iron 9%
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait for the post about how to do the zumba dvd, my sister and I want to make one. I'm glad you are healing well and getting back into your health lifestyle. I wish I was there to get in shape with you.

    ReplyDelete