Saturday, March 20, 2010

One in Mind

They always tell you when you get married that the longer you are married the more you become like your spouse. This hasn't been really difficult for Adam and I because well... we were already really similar when we got married. Not to mention we both are close to the same height with brown curly hair. Awesome.

But when I was thinking about this the other day it made me a little sad because I THINK Adam has made a bigger impact on me than I have on him. Heck, even after just meeting him when we were 18 I changed: I switched from country to Linkin Park and would watch movies like Dumb and Dumber and enjoy them. Amazing.

Since marriage? I watch Anime. I have become much more minimalist; in decorating, grocery shopping, and toilet paper usage. I drive a stick better. I get angry at bad parenting more easily. I hate being late; to anything. I play video games. I have a level 60 World of Warcraft character and YES I actually like the game. That is Not a lie either.

On Saturdays I work from 9-3. So I got up this morning at 8... I am getting ready... 8:30 I am in the kitchen making food and Adam stumbles out of the bedroom, flumps down on the couch and pulls his laptop on his lap. I knew he had a big research presentation today so I worriedly ask him, "Sweetheart did I wake you up?"

He gives me a hand and says, "I can't talk to you right now. I just had the most amazing dream ever and I have to write it down before I forget."

:)

When I left at 8:45 and bent down to give him a kiss good-bye he ignored me until he finished the sentence he was on then told me to "hurry" so he could get back to his story.

Yeah, I think every person I have lived with has experienced me ignoring them, and me choosing a blank sheet of paper over them.

No, I wouldn't call Adam a writer. He has a 4 page paper do for a religion class and when he told me about it he handed his laptop out to me and said, "Have fun." He mortally dreads papers. But... when it is writing something that he enjoys?

Adam might have written on his own before our marriage, but I am going to doubt that he did much waking up earlier than needed just to write something out before he saw me do it at least once a week. I am going to go ahead and give myself props on that one.

And maybe I don't give myself enough credit. Maybe I have impacted Adam more than I think. He goes out to eat more now that we are married, that's for sure. He relaxes more than he used to. He reads classics for fun- and so we can talk about them. He has even turned me onto a few Russian authors I haven't tried. He really wants to see the Sistine chapel... though I think that may be more due to an amazing teacher he had than my own nagging.

Who knows? Maybe someday I will hear Barbara Streisand coming from Adam's car or office voluntarily. Though I am not going to hold my breath on that one :)

No comments:

Post a Comment