Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Lifetime to do list

So, when I was in Young Women's back in high school (youth group) they made us write a list of goals we wanted to accomplish in our lifetime. Because I am strange and a little too nostalgic, I kept mine. And I add to it. It is now four pages long. It's titled "My Dream List." Its basically my personal list of things I want to do before I die- or would like to do.

There are a lot of things I am sure I will never do, but there are also quite a few things that have already happened. The following are the things on my list (and I have written all these things down BEFORE I did them mind you which makes this all the more funny) that I have already done and have gotten to cross off (the date next to it is when it was accomplished):

*get my young woman's medallion (Dec 2003)
*Be an editor for a book, magazine, newspaper (Aug 03- April 04)
*make out in a movie theater (December 2005)
*Travel to England (April-June 2007)
*Kiss the ground outside Shakespeare's house (May 2007)
*Go skinny dipping (May 2007)
*See Phantom of the Opera live (June 2007)
*get married in the temple (November 6, 2007)
*Marry someone like Brian Williams and Mike Roake (those were my best friends and missionaries in high school) November 6, 2007
*Teach a class/ high school or college (February 2008)
*Be a size six (December 2009)
*Run a 5K (March 13, 2010)

Now, here is the list of things that I know I will or I hope to accomplish in 2010:
*6 minute mile (I just have to run it once!)
*Travel to South Carolina
*go on a road trip (hello April!)
*do 40 push-ups in a row
*have a baby (maybe the pregnancy part before the year is out? Maybe?)
*learn to play tennis

And here, just for fun, are some of the other random things I have on my list that I think you might enjoy:
* tour the south
*publish something
*work for Broadway
*name a crayon or work for Crayola
*screen write for a movie
*go sky diving
*go and look through one of those HUGE telescopes at all the stars
*buy a pair of Venetian jeans (which would also allow me to cross out "go to Italy")
*grow my hair out to my butt
*see The Tempest preformed live (no one EVER does this play! Which is strange because it is Shakespeare's greatest)
*Fly in a hot air balloon
*go on a mission
*meet Barbara Streisand
*be in Vogue Magazine
*Get my masters
*Faint (it just seems to romantic you know?)
*watch my children create miracles
*read the entire standard works
*have a library
*shake hands with the Prophet
*stay out LATE LATE LATE dancing
*write in central park

There are LOADS more but I won't bore you with all of them :) The funny thing is- is I am always adding to the list- almost every time I read it. I can see myself, on my deathbed, reading the list, crossing things out, and still adding more. Maybe there would be satisfaction in getting everything done- but I think there is also something nice about always wanting to do more; about having the curiosity to feel like I could never be done or tired of this world.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah I remember doing this list...but I don't have mine anymore. You are so cute. I love the fainting one, it's so anne shirley of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that on your list you have 'make out in a movie theater.' Ha ha! I'm guessing it was with Adam since you knew him then?

    ReplyDelete