Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Science of Religion

Our Sunday School lesson on Sunday was on the creation. And I was SO glad that the teacher talked about one aspect of the creation that always speaks to me. That one aspect is one of the reasons I KNOW the gospel is true.

It reminds me of the book Angels and Demons. Maybe the movie, but I haven't seen it yet. I LOVE Dan Brown, but I love Angels the best of all his novels because I think it rings with such a universal issue. Science and Religion. The two un-mixable faiths playing in our world. In the end of the novel (SPOILER ALERT) the priest finds a way, his own way to follow faith, and embrace science. I think this is one of the MOST IMPORTANT things any man or woman of faith can do.

And its why I love the church. Because as Latter Day Saints we don't believe that God took clay and made man. Because we KNOW and we believe that everything that happened during the creation, and everything that happens now, every miracle, has a physical and practical explanation. We just don't know what it is. And for me, the greatest part of going to the celestial kingdom some day will be going, "So THAT'S how the waters of the red sea parted! If I had only known that about physics/ weather/ math!"

It's one of the hardest and yet most rewarding things about Adam. He is a man of practical ideas and physical explanations; everything has a scientific computational answer. Its hard because I am NOT like that. Hence why I love English and he hates it. With English there is never a right answer. With enough evidence and insight you can prove a villain to be a hero and vise versa. The simple way a word is spelled or used can change the meaning of paragraphs.

But I love Adams logicalness because not only does it save time and money, it restores my faith that there is an answer to everything. It makes me feel good that someday when I have the chance to make my own world, there is going to be a man right next to me that can teach me how. Just like he shows me how to use my computer, the best way to drive a car to save on gas, and how some ridiculous myths revolving around children and birth are simply not true.

Sometimes I wonder if faith isn't really believing in what we don't know, but just having the patience until we can find out the answer. I think that's how it is for me at least. I have faith that things are true and happen for a reason, because I have faith that someday my eyes will be opened and it will all make sense. Practically, logically, scientifically.

I kind of imagine a Matrix moment- in the end when the Matrix becomes gold to Neo and sees things AS the matrix, and that allows him to manipulate it. Maybe I will see the world as an equation. Or maybe I will see it in Shakespeare because that is complicated enough to express the truth, but something that I can understand.

2 comments:

  1. I love this phrase: "Sometimes I wonder if faith isn't really believing in what we don't know, but just having the patience until we can find out the answer." It mirrors wonderfully with the idea to pray like everything depends on the Lord and then work like everything depends on yourself. It's the only way I'm able to make it through different trials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that lesson on Sunday too! These are some great thoughts- I can't wait to understand everything too(:

    ReplyDelete