Saturday, September 19, 2009

Proud to be an American

I think every girl has made a list of what she wants in a future spouse someday. I think it may actually be a goal in the Young Women's program. Plus, that is the point of dating right? To find those qualities that you cannot live without, and those that can slide around a little.

For those of you who know me and read this blog... :) I am OBSESSED with lists. So when I was younger I wrote about... a million different lists about the man I wanted some day. I came out married in November of 2007 very pleased to say that Adam made the cut. I think the only things that didn't match up were Adam hates cats, and does not have red hair. (His is curly though which makes up for it :)

One of the things I never knew after dating for 5 years however, was that love of country was really important to me.

I love America. I do. I think- not because I am interested in politics of have spent time in other horrible places, but simply because I know the land is promised and I have seen family members, friends, acquaintances all fight and give a little life's blood to the cause. I love THEM for what they do.

My motto is more like the one (I think it was Gwenyth Paltrow?) said when we were invading Iraq- that I may not AGREE with the casue (Not saying I didn't at the time- I had no idea what was going on then) but I will ALWAYS support the troops.

Adam, on the other hand, has deep passion for this country. He DID spend two years in a war torn country, a dozen years out of communisim. He saw first hand what it does to a land, and to a people. I remember at the end of his mission, when I was running around England, loving every minute of it, he wrote me and told me he was glad I was having fun, but he hoped being foreign made me realize how great it is to be an American.

I can't really say it did.... the UK is still kind of like my hearts home. That I can't help. But being with the English and the Scottish made me feel guilty for the kind of American I have been. Even five year olds there know about politics. Me and a friend got REEMED in a Scottish museum for asuming that Queen Elizabeth the II was their second queen as well. (She's not. The Scots dont recognize Queen E the I). Everyone there had deep love and deep passion for the soil that they live on. I came home wanting to be like that, about this country I am from.

Adam has recently been given an amazing opportunity to join the armed forces as a doctor. Military doctors are in high demand right now. We haven't decided yet if we are going to do it- there are perks and downsides to joining and to not, and it is going to take a lot of thought.

Whether we do or dont however, I will always remember the one thing Adam said to me when we were talking about it. Neither of us knew if we could stand him joining a fighting force- Adam wasn't sure he would handle boot camp well and I would be a nevous wreck thinking of him in the front lines. But Adam said about putting his brain and his best skills on the line, "I would like to serve my country."

I never knew how important to me that was until he said it. But I think Adam being willing to serve our country, to love it so much that he WANTS to, is one of my favorite things about him. I guess there are a few things you have to learn while you are married that you just cant when you are single.

God bless America, this truly is the land the Moeck's love.

1 comment: