Monday, September 14, 2009

The 14th

I am now officially 23. I am actually not too upset about it. 23 in itself seems like an amazing age- right in the golden years- right where I want to be. The only thing that got me down was realizing that in 7 years I will be 30, while 7 years ago I was turning 16. How strange time is isn't it?

I had a wonderful birthday. I went to a spa, amd went shopping. Adam took me to see Transformers and to eat at the Olive Garden, and we shared a chocolate wall from PF Changs and he sang me happy birthday. And it rained. For those of you who don't know, since 2004, it had NEVER been over 70 degrees on the 14th of September and it is ALWAYS, or always starts out at least, as overcast.

Why? Because the Lord loves me. And it is my birthday. And as a gift for me, he makes the sky gray and the breeze cool and when he can liquid love falls from the sky to cool my face. My birthday gifts from God are always my favorites.

Since high school, I have compiled a list, and I add to it every birthday. I take a few moments of quiet on my day to look at the past year of my life and think overall, what have I learned? What is the message? I then write that message in my list. I now have 23 of such things, and I wanted to share them with you. Each item has a story behind it, but I won't share all of those now :)

What I’ve Learned
23 Truths for Living Life

1. When you’re learning how to walk, the standing back up part is important.
2. The most important word is not I or mine.
3. Potty training is hard
4. Always, always ask why
5. Don’t pick California poppies in California
6. Daisies are always free
7. When faced with the choice of getting to keep a toy that you want, and getting to say good bye to a friend you may never see again, always give up the Barbie for the chance to say good-bye.
8. Have faith.
9. Always have an imagination and always use it.
10. Barney is not as cool as you once thought.
11. Write-always write.
12. Work hard for yourself- not for your teachers or for your parents- but just for you.
13. Love your family. Someday they will be all that you have left.
14. Learn who you are, love who you are, be who you are.
15. Fall in love.
16. Dance the way you do when no one is watching.
17. People don’t die. They take a long vacation and go visit God.
18. You don’t know everything. In fact, you don’t know much at all. What you do know though, is that the only way to live is with God and His son, because it is then that you find joy.
19. Someday someone will make you realize that you can hold the world. And even if he ends up hurting you, you’ll know that every tear will be worth it because your love was real. Because it was when you loved him that you found yourself closest to God.
20. Learn how to live by yourself and love being alone. It will be very lonesome for quite some time but when it gets really bad, the Lord will send you a friend who will make the loneliness more tolerable.
21. Sometimes you loose sight of who you are. When this happens the best remedy is to just take off you clothes and jump into the water.
22. Love is not hard. Situations may be hard. Creating romance may be hard. But love itself, is very easy.
23. Do not let anyone or anything tell you to hurry. This is YOUR time. You need to live life, not be life.

1 comment:

  1. Happy late birthday! It sounds like you had a wonderful day! That chocolate wall cake from PF changs is amazing! I'm craving some at this moment!!!!!

    ReplyDelete